The Train (flash fiction?)

The elevated train goes by outside my apartment window, it’s vibration on the track stirring me from my dream. Gone are the sprawling green meadows, snow capped mountains, and clear rolling rivers. Instead I am awakened to industry, crowds, and the fact I will soon be boarding the train that will carry me through the boroughs on my way to a job behind four walls, where I never feel the sun on my face or the breeze running through my hair. 
I am sick with longing. I watch videos on YouTube of other places, views from other trains, and wish to be there in quaint villages, walking on single lane roads by farmhouses and pastures, saying hello to people I meet and their livestock, as I worry about nothing except how hard the rain is supposed to fall tomorrow. No worry about the noise from the people upstairs, deadlines from supervisors who don’t work for their promotions, or the steady vibratory hum from the train outside my window on its way to its one hundred and fifty-seven stops in the city. 
I’m twenty-nine years old. Life is not supposed to be like this. I don’t know what I expected it to be, but not this. I look at all my Facebook friends and they seem so happy, as if everything is perfect, and yet I’m here behind these dull four walls I can barely afford, being awakened by the click-clack of the train, reminding me to get up and go to a job that I hate, dodging through crowds of strangers I don’t want to know. I just wish for once that when I board the train it would take me somewhere else. Somewhere different. Somewhere more adventurous than this…
By Paul D Aronson.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “The Train (flash fiction?)”

  1. Did you read my mind through the computer screen or something? This is how I feel every day when I board the train. This was so eerily relatable. I loved it!

    1. Thank you. I’m so glad others could identify with this. πŸ™‚ The basic inspiration for this write were the memories of riding with my father on the L in Chicago, Taking another look at it now and I find myself wanting to expand on this , but I’m unsure whether to play it as a straight literary drama or take it into realms of fantasy or sci fi. I have ideas for both πŸ˜‰ Thanks again for your comments . Greatly appreciated πŸ™‚

      1. Thank you. Yeah I was thinking that too, considering the type of stories I generally write. But I also thought maybe readers tire of that , so I kept my options and ideas open. πŸ˜‰

  2. Fantastic flash fiction, Paul. Hits on some emotions and thoughts I’ve had before. And when you were talking about Facebook, it reminded me of how people usually post the very best moments of their life on Facebook, which makes up maybe 5% of their lives. And that’s what we’re basing other people’s happiness on, the top 5% of their lives they captured in a photo. And we miss the other 95% of their lives, yet we judge our own happiness based on that fraction we see.

    1. Thank you so much for your comments and observations. I agree with you on the Facebook posts thing. If you casually looked at an average friend’s lists and their posts you would either think they are the happiest people on the planet, or perhaps the most bitter. Thanks for reading πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s